The different types of cardio equipment available:
There are so many pieces of Cardio machines, but there are main types of cardio machines that have stood the test of time. Namely: Treadmills, Spinning Bikes, Rowing Machines, Exercise Bikes, and Elliptical trainers. There is a new kid on the block, called the Assault Air Bike.
The treadmill is still the most popular piece of cardio equipment. It is especially popular in South Africa because it allows you to run in the comfort of your own home. Besides curve treadmills that work with out power, most treadmills use electricity. They are powered using a motor, which is either an AC Motor (heavy duty grade – commercial), or a DC Motor (home-use – light duty). To view our range of treadmills, please follow this link: https://www.mifitness.co.za/products/cardio/treadmills/
Quick Tip on buying a treadmill:
- Warranty on parts should be 1-2 years
- Make sure of that the maximum user weight is suitable
- Be sure to buy from a reputable company as treadmills do require backup service and spares
- Make sure you are buying a treadmill suitable for your purposes (do not skimp). All too often I have seen people purchasing the cheapest treadmill they could find, and then use it for something it was designed for, i.e. buying a home treadmill but using it for commercial use.
Indoor Cycles or Spinning Bikes are essentially the same thing. We have come to know of all indoor cycles to be spinning bikes, and the truth is that they are much the same. Spinning Bikes however is a trademark, and there is only one brand that can use that trademark to call their indoor cycle a Spinning Bike. Indoor Cycling was started by Johnny Goldbery (“Johny G”) in the mid 1980’s, because he was hit by a car while training at night. This is what made spinning popular, it allowed people to train for cycling, without having the tisks of riding on the road. explain the history of spinning and indoor cycling very well. A spinning bikes requires no electricity, and uses manual resistance / friction to create resistance. New technology is now available for indoor cycles, and this is magnetic resistance. The benefit of magnetic resistance is that there is less wear and tear on your bike.
Quick tips on buying a spinning bikes:
- Look at the crank and make sure it is good quality, this is where a lot of spinning bikes give issues. This is where the crank arm connects to the crank. Many times a crank arm will break off the crank where ti is welded on. The best cranks have a “spider” design that connects to the crank using bolts.
- Make sure the handle bars can move back and forward, and the seat can adjust front and back. If not, then it will be difficult to adjust the bike to your height.
- Magnetic resistance is the way to go, it saves your bike in the long run
- As always, looking out for the warranties. This should always be longer than a year
Rowing Machines were designed to simulate the action of rowing on water. The most popular rowing machine is the Concept 2 Rowing Machine, which Mifitness supplies in massive quantities. It is especially popular in sporting institutions, crossfit boxes and so forth. Many people don’t realise that there are still many options out there, which are just as good. If you want a rower that simulates the feeling of rowing on water, then the Fluid Rowers are most definitely the the rowing machines for the job. Fluid Rowers give you exactly the feeling of rowing on water… The harder you row, the more resistance, which is the great thing about water. Fluid Rowers also have a manual resistance setting
Quick tips on buying a rowing machine:
- Don’t skimp, as i am saying always. Don’t buy a home use rower and use it for commercial use
- Try the rowing machine out first to see if you are comfortable on the rowing machine
- Make sure you purchase a rower with a good warranty
Exercise Bikes again have been around for years, and they are not going anywhere. They will remain one of the most popular pieces of cardio equipment because they do not take up a lot of space, they are affordable, and they have little impact on your joints when you are using them. Exercise bikes are also known as upright bikes. We generally prefer to sell exercise bikes that generate their own electricity, especially because of the power issues in South Africa. We also find that bikes that do not require electricity last longer, there is no need to worry about power surges and so forth.
Elliptical trainers are also known as X-trainers were introduced by Precor in 1995. It is a stationery exercise machine used to mimic climbing, walking, and even running in an orbital motion. The whole idea behind an elliptical trainer is to allow you to exercise with very little impact on your joints and a non-impact workout. The other benefit to an elliptical trainer is that you are able to work your upper body and your lower body at the same time.
Quick tips on buying an elliptical trainer:
- Try the elliptical trainer first, the stride length of an elliptical trainer makes a very big difference
- Try an elliptical trainer that has a flywheel in the front, and also try one that has the flywheel at the rear. The feeling is very different, neither is bad, it is just personal preference
- If you are purchasing an elliptical because you train your upper body and lower body… then try the Assault bike, nothing beats a full body workout like an Assault Bike
The best is saved for last. it deserves a category all on its own. The Assault Bike has become the most popular, and probably the best cardio machine in recent times. This is because of the workout that it gives you, nothing else gives you the same type of workout. It can be used for endurance, and also for HIIT workouts. A sprint on an Assault Airbike, can make you go blue in the face. If you think you are fit, then get on an Assault Bike, you will be humbled in a very short time. As far as a conditioning tool goes, there is nothing better. If you are looking for something to get you fit, then this is the machine for you. If you are looking for something that gets you results, this machine is for you
Quick tips on buying an Assault Bike:
- Make sure you purchase a genuine Assault Bike, they have proven to be the best Air bikes available.